This excellent mid-level opportunity is with a leading retail business based in Cape Town and calls for an experienced MySQL Database Administrator who will be responsible for orchestrating upgrades, backups and ensuring the performance, availability, and security of MySQL instances.
You will work in tandem with the other teams, preparing documentation and specifications as required. The MySQL instances will be hosted in our client’s datacentre as well as in AWS/Microsoft cloud platforms.
The KPA’s of the role include:
- Managing all MySQL installations and upgrades:
- Ensuring a standard is applied to all installations.
- Keeping track of new software versions and planning upgrades.
- Raising awareness for END-OF-LIFE versions.
- Assisting Development Teams in designing and optimising systems:
- Reviewing database designs and make recommendations to address shortcomings.
- Perform proactive monitoring and feedback to developers, highlighting queries that can be improved.
- Carrying out all related database administrative tasks:
- Check OS and Database logs.
- Do backups and restores as requested.
- Do regular disaster recovery trials.
- Profile server resource usage, optimise and tweak as necessary Resolve incidents.
- Automate maintenance tasks through appropriate scripting language. Monitor capacity to prevent unplanned outages.
- Grant permission to servers and databases in conjunction with standards as per SECURITY team.
- Design HIGH AVAILABILITY architecture.
Our client typically looks for four characteristics in the people they choose:
- Integrity; 2 Resilience; 3 Competence and 4 Responsibility
If you’re a MySQL Database Administrator who demonstrates these characteristics supported by an IT-related qualification and at least 5+ years’ experience managing MySQL databases while demonstrating sound knowledge of database management concepts as well as strong proficiency in Linux operating system (5+ years) and good understanding of InnoDB and MyISAM storage engines, this could be your step into a long and rewarding career with a highly successful and leading retail business.
For an open discussion on this opportunity you are welcome to contact Allan Pike or Justin Durandt on 021 531 2015, but please be sure to submit your CV for the role via the online process before 11 June 2020.